SHERIDAN — Edward A. Whitney dedicated his life and legacy to supporting higher education in Sheridan County. Sheridan College will host the second annual Whitney Days from Sept. 19-26, featuring more than 25 events.
According to Dr. Leah Barrett, vice president of student affairs, the mission of Whitney Days is to educate Sheridan College students, staff and the residents of Sheridan County about Whitney’s legacy and celebrate his positive impact on higher education.
“It is important that we learn about the man whose incredible generosity and vision has made so much possible here at Sheridan College and take the time to celebrate,” Barrett said in a press release. “We’ll host a combination of informative, educational and fun events that incorporate service learning and civic engagement, which were central to Whitney’s life.”
Whitney Benefits, the foundation built from Whitney’s estate, has been instrumental in the success of Sheridan College. Over the last decade alone, Whitney Benefits has contributed $72.5 million in support of Sheridan College.
Whitney Days events open to the public include:
Thursday, Sept. 20
• 4-9 p.m. — Sheridan Chamber of Commerce 3rd Thursday Street Festival, downtown Sheridan
• 7 p.m. — Fei-Fei Performance, Whitney Center for the Arts
Friday, Sept. 21
• 7 p.m. — SC Generals volleyball vs. Western Wyoming Community College, Bruce Hoffman Golden Dome
• 7 p.m. — Pat Hamilton Memorial Rodeo, Sheridan County Fairgrounds (bad weather back up, SC AgriPark
Saturday, Sept. 22
• 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Block Party, Bruce Hoffman Golden Dome parking lot, barbecue (hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, salads, chips), $7 per person, music, inflatables, unveiling of the Sheridan College ice cream flavor and name)
• 2 p.m. — SC Generals men’s soccer vs. Laramie County Community College, Maier Soccer Field
• 3 p.m. — SC Generals volleyball vs. Central Wyoming College, Bruce Hoffman Golden Dome
• 4 p.m. — SC Generals women’s soccer vs. Laramie County Community College, Maier Soccer Field
• 7 p.m. — Pat Hamilton Memorial Rodeo, Sheridan County Fairgrounds (bad weather back up, SC AgriPark)
Sunday, Sept. 23
• 10 a.m. — Pat Hamilton Rodeo, Sheridan County Fairgrounds (bad weather back up, SC AgriPark)
• 3 p.m. — U.S. Air Force Band Falconaires, Whitney Center for the Arts, free, featuring the debut of a piece written by Dr. Eric Richards in memory of Tom Kinnison
Wednesday, Sept. 26
• 5-7 p.m. — Open house, Whitney Academic Center atrium
• 7 p.m. — Step Afrika, Whitney Center for the Arts, tickets are $5 for community members
For information about student events and a full schedule, see www.sheridan.edu/whitneydays.
SHERIDAN — Step Afrika! will perform at the Whitney Center for the Arts on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m.
The show is free for Northern Wyoming Community College District students and $5 for the public at the door.
Step Afrika! was founded in 1994 as the first professional company dedicated to the tradition of stepping. It now ranks as one of the top 10 African American dance companies in the United States. In stepping, the body is used as an instrument to create intricate rhythms and sounds through a combination of footsteps, claps and the spoken word.
The Whitney Center for the Arts is on the Sheridan College campus, located at 1 Whitney Way.