SHERIDAN — Each year, True West Magazine names the “Best of the West” across the country, recognizing institutions that best keep the spirit of the American West alive. The “Best of the West” categories include Best Arts and Collectibles, Firearms, Heritage Travel, Movies and TV Series, Western Books and Western Wear.
True West Magazine’s 2018 Best of the West Awards have been announced, and Sheridan is taking home six awards:
• Best Place to Live Like an Old West Cowboy — Sheridan — Editor’s Choice
• Best Promotion of a Historic Place — Sheridan — Reader’s Choice
• Best Western History Book Store — Sheridan Stationery Books and Gallery — Reader’s Choice
• Best Preservation of a Historic Western Building — Historic Sheridan Inn — Editor’s Choice
• Best Heritage Hotel — Historic Sheridan Inn — Reader’s Choice
• Best Chuck Wagon Show & Supper — Big Horn Heritage Days — Reader’s Choice
Familiar awards for Sheridan include the “Best Place to Live Like an Old West Cowboy” and the “Best Promotion of a Historic Place,” both of which were awarded to Sheridan last year.
“We know how special Sheridan is, and it’s gratifying to be able to share all we have to offer with the True West readers,” said Shawn Parker, executive director of Sheridan Travel & Tourism.
Parker said for the Sheridan Inn to be awarded “Best Preservation of a Historic Western Building” and “Best Heritage Hotel” is a true testament to the incredible amount of time and work dedicated to the renovation and reopening of the Sheridan Inn.
The “Best Western History Book Store” was awarded to Sheridan Stationery Books and Gallery, hometown bookstore and prominent fixture to Historic Main Street since 1993. Parker said the honor is aptly awarded with Sheridan Stationery’s vast bookshelves filled with local authors and local history along with best sellers, topography maps and stationery. For a full list of awards, see www.truewestmagazine.com.