CHEYENNE — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cheyenne announced Tuesday that three new allegations by Wyoming child abuse victims against retired Bishop Joseph Hart have been deemed credible and substantiated.

In July and August 2018, the diocese announced it had conducted a canonical investigation and concluded that Hart abused three Wyoming boys. Since the original announcement, three more substantiated allegations came against Hart.

This means a total of six victims have come forward to the church and were found to be credible.

These three new victims said Hart abused them in the 1970s and 1980s. The news release put out by the diocese Tuesday said the allegations have been reported to civil authorities.

Cheyenne Police spokesman Officer David Inman said the police department is aware of the news release and is sticking with the original charges that it forwarded recently to Laramie County District Attorney Leigh Anne Manlove. So far, Manlove has not commented on the case, and no charges have been filed against Hart in Laramie County Circuit Court.

 

By Isabella Alves

Wyoming Tribune Eagle Via Wyoming News Exchange