SHERIDAN — Downtown Sheridan will play host to a sanctioned skijoring competition Saturday on Broadway Street between East Dow and East Alger streets this weekend.
Skijoring is a sport in which a person on skis is pulled by a horse along a course marked with jumps and other obstacles. The event is expected to attract thousands of people to Sheridan’s downtown.
In addition to the races, family-friendly activities are planned for throughout the day.
Here’s what you need to know about this week’s event:
STREETS WILL CLOSE THURSDAY
The building of the course for the skijoring event is labor-intensive and requires hauling vast quantities of snow into the area. Broadway Street will close in the early morning Thursday and re-open late Sunday. Alger Street south of Black Tooth Brewing Company and First Street south of Luminous Brewhouse will also close for the event.
HOW TO REGISTER
Online registration for the event opened Feb. 9 and will also be available in person at Black Tooth Brewing Company Friday and prior to the races Saturday. Multiple divisions are available — professional/open division, sport division, novice division, youth division and snowboard competitors. All open, sport and novice athletes are required to be Skijoring America members through an annual membership or weekend warrior pass.
WHAT CAN COMPETITORS WIN?
Division winners will each receive a Sheridan WYO Winter Rodeo buckle. In addition, first- and second-place finishers will receive a Sheridan WYO Winter Rodeo jacket. The top three finishers will also receive cash prizes. The purse will be announced prior to the first race Saturday.
WHAT EVENTS ARE PLANNED FOR THE WEEKEND?
While the Winter Rodeo and skijoring event are set to begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, a number of other fun activities are planned for the week. They are:
• Friday, 5 p.m. — Registration ice breaker, Black Tooth Brewing Company, 312 Broadway St.
• Friday, 7 p.m. — Ian Munsick concert, WYO Performing Arts and Education Center, 42 N. Main St., $27.50-42.50 based on seating
• Saturday, 8 a.m. — Nitro Java and Donuts to go, Luminous Brewhouse, 504 Broadway St.
• Saturday, 9 a.m. — Winter Rodeo and skijoring, Broadway Street downtown
• Saturday, 10 a.m. — 89th annual Sheridan WYO Rodeo ticket sales open, WYO Performing Arts and Education Center, 42 N. Main St.
• Saturday, noon — Smith Alley Snow Fest, Smith Alley Brewing, 150 N. Main St.
• Saturday, 5 p.m. — Winter Rodeo celebration, Black Tooth Brewing Company, 312 Broadway St.
• Sunday, 10 a.m. — Red Grade Ski and Sled Day, Red Grade Trails