Sheridan Memorial Hospital Foundation
Philanthropy at its best. . . Our community’s generosity has enabled Sheridan Memorial Hospital to accomplish critical growth over the past 112 years!
1904 1st Sheridan hospital built by the State of Wyoming. It had 45 beds, a nurse training program and was named Wyoming General Hospital.
1921 State of Wyoming deeded the hospital to Sheridan County on December 27, 1921 and it became known as Sheridan County Memorial Hospital.
1945 Women’s Auxiliary formed and the first chairman was Mrs. D. E. Gwinn. Ambassadors of good will with the public through service, fund raising, and public relations, this organization has contributed countless hours, as well as significant financial gifts toward all patient improvement projects.
1954 Times were changing, growth and a need for more patient rooms challenged the County to come up with a plan–and the new Sheridan County Memorial Hospital moved to its new and still current location on Fifth Street. The Auxiliary pledged a gift and many others followed the lead. Hospital described by Denver Post on its front page as “the most modern in the West.”
1967 Hospital named beneficiary of the Wilson Memorial Trust, a gift from Tip and Aida Wilson. The legacy endowment trust continues its positive impact today.
1976 Sheridan Memorial Hospital Foundation established on December 7, 1976. Organized exclusively for charitable purposes for advancement and assistance in the development, growth, and operation of Sheridan Memorial Hospital.
1980s Sheridan Memorial Hospital Auxiliary’s mission expands with the first gift store, opened and named Rainbow Gift Shop, we know it today as the Kozy Korner Gift Store.
1994 Foundation was named beneficiary of the Dr. Norman (Ax) Hill Estate. Dr. Hill spent summers in Wyoming and had operating privileges at the hospital. His generosity and thoughtfulness did much to insure the financial viability of the Foundation which continues today.
1996 New Patient Wing expansion project initiated and strong community leadership ensured the $13 million project would be successful.
1997-98 Home for Life Cancer Campaign developed funding to support equipment for early cancer diagnosis and treatment at the hospital and the Welch Cancer Center.
1999 Hospice of the Big Horns continued expansion and funds raised support specialized care for patients, families, and care providers.
2000 Patient Wing addition had its grand opening.
2001 Foundation’s Educational Endowment established. Today, still growing, the endowment funds $25,000 or more annually to support nursing and clinical education for staff.
2004 The Foundation Employee Partner Program was put into motion! A unique opportunity to involve all hospital employees in philanthropy and patient improvement projects. Today, just over 430 partners have given over $320,000 toward patient care improvement projects and the Intensive Care Unit.
2004 New, state-of-the-art Griffith Emergency Department opened after a successful Foundation community campaign raised nearly $2.5 million.
2006 Transitional Care Unit expansion, located within the hospital, the program helps patients after a hospital stay successfully transition back home.
2007 Watt Dialysis Center opened, project funded by The Joe and Arlene Watt Foundation and Sheridan Memorial Hospital, & Bob Bishop Dialysis Endowment established.
2009 The Link ~ Partners in Pink event raises all funds necessary to bring digital mammography equipment and improved breast cancer screening and diagnosis to the region.
2013 Sheridan Memorial Hospital Cardiac Catheritization Lab opened in January, funded with a planned gift from the Lorraine Husman Estate.
2013 Welch Cancer Center celebrates its grand opening, an incredible addition to Sheridan residents facing a cancer diagnosis and treatment. Community support of over $6 million made the project possible.
2016 The new Intensive Care Unit, currently under construction, has an anticipated opening in the fall of 2016.
Foundation fund raising continues . . .