WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN— Sheridan emergency responders were called to a housefire at approximately 9:30 Tuesday night. The blaze at 435 Burton Street appears to have started near a gas fireplace insert and extended to the exterior siding of the home.
Sheridan Fire-Rescue Chief Terry Lenhart said a neighbor had used a garden hose to apply water to the flames before firefighters arrived and had extinguished the majority of the fire.
“His house was right there in a direct line to where the fire was,” Lenhart explained, adding the neighbor had acted quickly, considering SFR was at the scene within 3 minutes of receiving the call.
Lenhart said a more detailed cause of the fire has not yet been pinned down, and the investigation continues.
“Right now, we don’t know whether it was an appliance malfunction or just heat transfer from the gas insert,” he said.
Upon their arrival, SFR firemen spent approximately an hour removing areas of smoldering materials and making sure the fire was completely extinguished.
While the fire did cause light smoke damage to the home, the occupants were not displaced, as they should be able to put a patch on the wall until permanent repairs can be done.
“It didn’t burn through the sheathing around the fireplace insert,” Lenhart explained, adding it was fortunate the fire also did not extend into the attic and did not damage any electrical circuits.
Rocky Mountain Ambulance and the Sheridan Police Department also contributed efforts to the incident response.
Latest posts by Outside Contributor (see all)
- Health Watch: The ‘whole’ truth - January 20, 2017
- Don’t confirm DeVos, unprepared, unfit Re: Wyoming’s first-rate schools - January 20, 2017
- People in the streets, protesting and yelling Re: Trump inauguration - January 20, 2017