WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — Members of the Ranchester Planning Commission considered an annexation to the town of Ranchester at their regular meeting Tuesday. The commission agreed to recommend to Ranchester Town Council that 16.21 acres of land belonging to Barney Bros. Land and Livestock be annexed into town limits, town engineer Chris Johnson said.
“They felt as though the statutes were in line with the property and the property was in line with the statutes,” Johnson said.
Barney Bros. Land and Livestock is located on the southeast corner of Ranchester, north of the Tongue River. Barney Bros. landowners submitted a petition for annexation March 11. There will be a public hearing on the annexation at the next Ranchester Town Council meeting April 16.
Ranchester has approved three annexations in recent history, Johnson said, including school property on the west end of town and a small property on the north end of town.
Ranchester Town Council held its regular meeting following the planning commission meeting. Little formal action was taken, but council members did discuss several items.
Several Ranchester residents have requested permission to have chickens on their property, Johnson said. The town council has drafted an ordinance to allow chickens in town that will be considered at a later date.
Chickens are allowed in the city of Sheridan, city Clerk Scott Badley said. He receives four to five calls per year asking about the rules for chickens in town and said there is no ordinance that prohibits chickens. Chickens are subject, however, to ordinances regulating animals being a nuisance or being at large. They must be confined, Badley said.
In other business:
• Ranchester Town Council members discussed how to alleviate problems associated with overuse of water during the summer watering season.
• The council approved an annual upgrade to Auto-Cad software for the engineering department at a cost of $945.
• The council discussed when to re-open the information center but made no formal decision.
Latest posts by Hannah Sheely (see all)
- Frozen turkeys and smoking ovens make Thanksgiving memories - November 23, 2016
- Veterans bare bodies, souls, memories - November 11, 2016
- CRAFTING FOR BAZAAR SEASON: Creative types gear up for season of sales - November 5, 2016