Man arrested in Lucinda’s burglary

Home|News|Local News|Man arrested in Lucinda’s burglary

SHERIDAN — A Main Street art gallery was damaged during a burglary attempt Friday evening, just weeks before its owner was scheduled to move the business to Washington in order to be closer to her family.

Police said Sheridan resident Ben Morton, 24, broke a pair of glass doors at Lucinda’s Artisan Gallery at 160 N. Main St. before taking off with a selection of merchandise from the business.

Morton was later arrested and charged with felony burglary after being located by officers at a nearby bar. Police, who were called to the scene shortly after 9 p.m., said he was highly intoxicated at the time of the event.

Morton was treated for injuries suffered during the break-in at Sheridan Memorial Hospital before being transferred to the county jail where he remained as of press time.

He was expected to appear before a circuit court judge this morning.

If convicted, Morton faces a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Lucinda Terzieff, owner of the damaged gallery, announced recently that she planned on relocating the business to Cashmere, Wash., early in April in order to be closer to her 1-year-old granddaughter.

Earlier this month, Terzieff told The Sheridan Press she was sad to leave her adopted hometown and its tight-knit feel.

“Sheridan is just a great community,” she said. “Everyone is there for one another.”
A Main Street mainstay since the mid-2000s, Lucinda’s played host to numerous live music acts over the years. The business also specialized in artisanal artwork and clothing.

Police spokesman Lt. Chris Dahmke said workers from a local glass company arrived on the scene of the burglary shortly after Morton was arrested to repair Lucinda’s doors.

By |March 18th, 2013|

About the Author:

Paolo Cisneros joined The Sheridan Press staff in August 2012. He covers business, energy and public safety. A Chicago native, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2011.