A librarian friend of mine uses the email transom to let me know how much she enjoyed local author Craig Johnson while attending a national conference.
Johnson, The New York Times best-selling novelist of the “Longmire” series which is the highest-rated scripted television program on the A&E network, was the featured speaker at the 2013 Association of Rural and Small Libraries conference in Omaha, Neb. Warren Buffett also mingled with these librarians, so it was no small affair.
She writes how the librarians were “ga-ga” over Johnson and his presentation, the highlight of the three-day conference.
From the Hand-Sanitizer-On-Desktops, file…….
Employers know that a healthy work environment breeds more productivity. We’re trying to keep the flu bug out the door here at The Sheridan Press, too.
For the third year, the Press has paid for flu shots for its staff. If staff members want them, they roll up a sleeve; if not, that’s OK, as well. Michele Morris from Osco Pharmacy stopped in, friendly and capable as always, helped us with paperwork, and will likely send a bill.
As of Wednesday morning, there are five scholarships available (free attendance) to the first annual FAB (For. About. By.) Women’s Conference this week (Friday and Saturday) at Sheridan College. The scholarships are courtesy of the Homer A. and Mildred S. Scott Foundation, one of the event’s sponsors. Some of what’s coming:
• Friday luncheon, 12:30 p.m.: Brig. Gen. Kathy Wright, commander of the Wyoming Army National Guard. (Registration for FAB opens at noon.)
• Friday, 2 p.m.: Screening of the film, “Miss Representation.”
• Friday, 5 p.m.: Tours of the Sheridan College campus.
• Friday, 5:30: Networking reception; Dinner, 6:30 p.m. with the Sheridan Woman of the Year Award. Keynote speaker: Liza Donnelly, cartoonist with The New Yorker magazine, columnist/humorist with Forbes.com.
• Saturday: Training, seminars, workshops, beginning at 8:15 a.m. through 4 p.m. with choice of seminars.
• Saturday luncheon keynote: Sarah Calhoun, entrepreneur/founder, Red Ants Pants, a Montana apparel company that manufactures work clothing for women.
For info and registration: go online, thesheridanpress.com/fab; or, call, Kristen Czaban, managing editor, The Sheridan Press, 672-2431.
Dave Gopperton, the squadron commander of the Civil Air Patrol/Sheridan, is the Wyoming Wing Historian of the group. He’s associated with our VA hospital.
Dave drops a line asking Press readers to share with him their experiences as cadets or senior members. He’s putting together a history and wants to add it to the CAP National Archive regarding this part of our local history. He’s talked with several former members of Sheridan’s CAP and says they have good memories from these experiences, some dating back to the 1950s.
If you would like to help Dave, or know someone who has a story to tell:
• Lt. Dave Gopperton
Wyoming CAP/Cloud Peak Composite Squadron