WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — Fire crews responded to a house fire Friday at approximately 8:35 p.m. No injuries were reported in the blaze.
According to a press release from Sheridan Fire-Rescue the city department responded to the reported structure fire at 1480 Stonegate Drive. Firefighters arrived to find fire coming from the eaves and roof on the back side of the home and quickly extinguished the fire. However, firefighters from Sheridan Fire-Rescue and Goose Valley Fire Department spent several hours locating and removing areas of smoldering “blown in” cellulose insulation throughout the attic.
Fire caused moderate to severe damage to the roof sheathing and framing members but was contained to the attic. The interior and contents of the home sustained moderate smoke damage.
According to SFR, The residents were home at the time of the fire and were alerted by the activation of their smoke detectors, shortly after electricity had been restored to the neighborhood. A neighbor then alerted them to the fire that was coming from the back of the home and they were able to escape without injury.
Investigators from Sheridan Fire-Rescue determined that the fire originated within a rock and mortar chimney facade that had been constructed around an original all-metal chimney enclosure. Based on fire patterns and other evidence discovered during the investigation, it was determined that the fire burned through the roof and into the attic. Fire then spread throughout the attic until fire crews arrived and extinguished the blaze.
In addition to Goose Valley Fire Department, Sheridan Fire-Rescue received assistance and support from Rocky Mountain Ambulance and the Sheridan Police Department during the incident.