SHERIDAN — The Sheridan County Fair Association approved a plan to resurface the exhibit hall parking lot by laying rotomill and installing concrete curb and gutter and drainage structures at its meeting Thursday. This should alleviate what is a nearly chronic mud problem in the area, Fairgrounds Director Jamie Ringley said.
“It’s wonderful news for us,” Ringley said. “I think it will vastly improve the experience for our user groups and the multiple events we have in the exhibit hall every week.”
The county hopes to bid the project before Thanksgiving and complete it “sooner rather than later,” Ringley said. Completion of the project will be weather dependent.
The entire project will be paid for with State Loan and Investment Board grant money that is designated for parking lot projects, Ringley said.
In other business, Ringley reported on several projects in his director’s report.
• Fairgrounds staff completed a project to improve drainage on the pavillion floor. Labor was handled in-house with materials cost of approximately $1,800.
“This is a good beginning to the overall preservation and maintenance plan for this building with the ultimate intention being increasing yearround usage for events and being able to schedule two events on the same day,” Ringley said in his report.
• Emergency repairs to the roof above the boardroom were completed as approved at October’s meeting. The roof and ceiling damage was caused by the heavy snows in early October.
• Fairgrounds crews are working on improving the horse washing station. They have removed the old planking and timbers and prepared the ground to build forms to pour a cement pad that will be 60 feet long. They will build new racks that will be plumbed in and set in the cement, similar to the beef racks. These upgrades were needed to provide better traction and make the area safer.
“We’re just trying to keep the momentum going on various maintenance and upgrading projects” Ringley said.
• Utilities have been located and materials purchased for installation of new sprinkler systems on the Exhibit Hall and Pavillion lawns.
• Dates have been set for the 2014 Sheridan County Fair. It will be held July 31 through Aug. 4, 2014.