WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — Bomber Mountain Cycling Club members believe Sheridan could become one of the next great cycling destinations in America.
Just like Curt Gowdy State Park near Cheyenne has developed into a mountain bike haven and Billings, Mont., has been marketing itself as an ideal destination for bike and brew tours, Sheridan has the makings to join the ranks of Rocky Mountain biking hotspots.
“These mountains are untapped; we have a lot of potential up there,” BMCC founding member Jordan LeDuc said.
Last week a representative from the International Mountain Bicycling Association visited Sheridan to check out what the area has to offer.
He was slated to stop at Spear-O-Wigwam, Sibley Lake Recreation Area, Cutler Nordic Trails, Acme and Sheridan’s North Park to evaluate how to improve these biking destinations, LeDuc said.
Furthermore, representatives from BMCC were on hand at this weekend’s Wyoming Pathways Wyoming Trails Summit in Casper to learn how to foster a bike friendly attitude in Sheridan, Buffalo, Dayton and Ranchester through trail development and bicycling awareness.
“Cyclists travel to cycling destinations,” BMCC founding member David Carter said. “They always want to know where they can ride next.”
With that in mind, bike club members are working hard to get local cyclists engaged in community events. Here are a couple on the horizon:
• The Sheridan Sundowner Lions Club is sponsoring the Lion Ryan Express Bicycle Tour during Sheridan-Wyo-Rodeo week July 13.
Two routes, 20 miles and 50 miles, are available. Registration is $25 before July 6 and $35 after. Start time is 7 a.m. at Whitney Commons.
All proceeds will benefit the Allen H. Stewart Wyoming Lions Camp for the Blind near Casper.
For more information call Don Cherni at 752-0436.
• Coming in October: Biketoberfest, a day of biking and beer and general conviviality. The event is planned for the second Saturday, Oct. 12.
Latest posts by Hannah Sheely (see all)
- Why we talk weather and tips for deeper conversation in the new year - January 14, 2017
- Sheridan Rotary fundraiser to feature dueling piano act - January 5, 2017
- COLLECTING CHRISTMAS: Families pass traditions down for generations, holidays to come - December 9, 2016