Dow St. to be closed March 23-31
Date posted: March 22, 2013
SHERIDAN — Dow Street will be closed between Alger and Val Vista streets from 8 a.m. Saturday through March 31 for installation of new water mains in Mill Park and Dow Street, said Dave Engels, Entech engineer. Motorists and pedestrians are advised to use signed detour routes and be mindful around the construction site.
The work will complete another portion of the city of Sheridan’s West Downtown Phase III project, which included the recent reconstruction of Jefferson and Dow streets around the YMCA, Engels said.
The Mill Park water main was originally scheduled to be installed in December but was postponed due to winter weather. The Dow Street closure will be the last street closure for the project, Engels said.
The city chose the week of spring break to complete the project to avoid disrupting school traffic, city project manager Joe Schoen said.
The West Downtown Phase III project began in late fall 2010. Following 1.5 years of meetings with stakeholders and the public, especially area residents, construction on the project began in May 2012.
Schoen said concerns raised by the public included water pressure, pedestrian safety, especially in pathway connection areas, and lack of YMCA and event parking.
Some community members wanted to increase the speed limit around the YMCA to 30 mph, but Schoen said it will remain at 20 mph for pedestrian safety.
One of the key benefits of replacing the water main will be increased water pressure for area residents and businesses. The old water main was a 4-inch pipe installed in the early 1900s, Schoen said. The new pipe will be a 12-inch pipe, which will also improve fire flows.
Once installation of the water main in Mill Park is complete, only two projects will remain, Schoen said. The YMCA’s “tennis court” parking lot will be resurfaced, and overall reclamation — seeding, sod placement, street and parking lot striping — will finalize the project.
Estimated completion date is May 1, weather permitting.
The West Downtown Phase III project is funded with $250,000 in Optional One-Cent Sales Tax funds, $600,000 in consensus money, $800,000 in water and sewer funds and $1.2 million of Capital Facilities Tax funds for a total cost of $2.85 million.
Completed portions of the project include:
• reconstruction and upgrade of utilities in Dow Street from Marion to Jefferson streets and in Jefferson Street from Dow to Smith streets.
• construction of a pathway connecting Kendrick Park to Whitney Commons.
• construction of a new parking lot for the YMCA on the west side of Jefferson Street.
• installation of crosswalk lights, new boulevard sidewalks, decorative street lighting and trees.
• previous overhead utilities were upgraded and placed underground.
Projects yet to be completed include:
• installation of water mains in Mill Park on Dow Street between Val Vista and Alger streets: Saturday through March 31.
• reconstruction of the YMCA’s “tennis court” parking lot: mid-April through May 1.
• sod placement, street and parking lot striping, miscellaneous seeding and reclamation: April.
“The public benefit for this project will be improved streets that haven’t been touched since the 1960s, improved fire flows and water pressure for residents in the area and the pathway connection,” Schoen said. “We were able to address about 90 percent of the concerns brought to us.”
Copyright © 2015 The Sheridan Press or Sheridan Newspapers, Inc.