WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — The Sheridan County High School Rodeo Team finally gets to come home.
After 12 rodeos on the road, county athletes finish the Wyoming high school season Saturday in Buffalo then Sunday and Monday in Sheridan.
“We’re back in Sheridan County, and we’re excited to be here to let the local kids showcase what they’re capable of,” team sponsor Carrie Kelly said Wednesday afternoon.
She said they have 187 kids entered in the two-day competition in Sheridan. Last year’s Sheridan County rodeo was held in Buffalo over Memorial Day weekend.
The high school season began before Christmas with three rodeos, and athletes carried individual points over for nine more competitions around the state this spring, working to qualify for the National High School Finals Rodeo, set for July 14-20 in Rock Springs. After this weekend, the state finals will be held June 5-9 in Douglas to determine final positioning for the national finals.
Sheridan County boasts several top performers in their respective events. High school rodeo carries the sport’s traditional events along with things like pole bending, goat tying and breakaway roping.
Arvada’s Bryce Burnell has led bull riding standings throughout the 2012-13 season and he has the category wrapped up entering this weekend. Burnell won the bull riding competition held last weekend at the Casper rodeo, holding on for a 77-point ride Saturday.
Sheridan’s Jeffery Zdziarski returns to the Sheridan County rodeo looking for a repeat after taking the bareback buckle last year in Buffalo. Zdziarski sits in second place in the overall bareback standings.
On the girls side, Sheridan’s Kylee Cahoy leads the way. She is the third-ranked barrel racer in the state and the sixth-ranked breakaway roping competitor, putting her at fifth in the girls all-around standings. Cahoy is a two-time girls all-around champ this year, winning the award this May in Newcastle and in Gillette.
Unlike many of the competitions held so far around the state, Sheridan and Buffalo host outdoor rodeos, and for that reason they are traditionally scheduled late in the season as a precaution against poor weather. The Memorial Day weekend rodeo was postponed by rainstorms in 2011.
The Buffalo rodeo begins at 10 a.m. Saturday. As with most of the competitions held this spring, cuttings will be held the night before each rodeo begins. Buffalo’s will be held at Kaufmann Arena at 6 p.m. Friday, and Sheridan’s is scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday at Cunningham’s on Prairie Dog Road.
Competitions in Sheridan will begin at 9 a.m. both days.
High School Rodeo Results
Casper, May 18-19 2013
Sheridan County results only
3 Linzee Adamson, Arvada, 17.969
3 Kylee Cahoy, Sheridan, 3.480
4 Tiare Ilgen, Sheridan, 3.690
9 Cashlee Cunningham, Banner, 4.260
1 Bryce Burnell, Arvada, 77
5 Cashlee Cunningham, Banner, 8.470
2 Riley Curuchet/Cody Ballek, Clearmont, 6.530
4 Cahill Ellenwood (Banner)/Teague Crane (Wheatland), 9.00
2. Brandt Ross, Sheridan, 11.70
5 Weston Mann, Sheridan, 14.30
4 Kylee Cahoy, Sheridan, 15.576
8 Shelby Mann, Sheridan, 15.604
9 Kylee Cahoy 4.84
10 Tiare Ilgen 5.05
10 Dalton Beasley, Banner, 22.94
1 Brandt Ross (Sheridan)/Amelia Thrush (Gillette), 10.33
3 Dalton Garrett (Casper)/Weston Mann (Sheridan), 13.29
10 Sam Haskett (Sheridan)/Wyatt Mason(Casper), 28.91
6 Weston Mann 13.38
Wyoming High School Rodeo Association 2012-13 Event Standings
Top 4 qualify for National High School Finals July 14-20 in Rock Springs
Sheridan County Top 10
2. Jeffery Zdziarski, Sheridan, 92 points
Tie Down Roping
4. Brandt Ross, Sheridan, 66 points
9. Weston Mann, Sheridan, 50 points
6. Kylee Cahoy, Sheridan, 46 points (15 out of fourth)
8. Faith Carson, Arvada, 37 points
5. Dalton Beasley, Banner, 76 points (8 points out of fourth)
6. Cashlee Cunningham, Banner, 59 points (21 points out of fourth)
3. Kylee Cahoy, Sheridan,103 points
7. Linzee Adamson, Arvada, 52 points (45 oints out of fourth)
6. Shelby Mann, Sheridan, 54 points (8 points out of fourth)
T5. Weston Mann/Cameron Irwin (Buffalo) 53 points
1. Bryce Burnell, Arvada, 98.5 points (22 points clear of second place)
7. Gage Belus, Arvada, 9 points
3. Faith Carson, Arvada, 127 points
5. Kylee Cahoy 2,382.40 points
(two events, Barrels 1,660.35 and Breakaway 722.05)
11. Weston Mann 1,468.35 (Two events team roping 858.85 and tie down roping 609.50 )
Latest posts by Brad Estes (see all)
- Weekend sports schedule: Feb. 12-14 - February 13, 2014
- Generals beat Northwest on Andrews’ final shot; SC women lose - February 13, 2014
- WHSAA meetings: State soccer back in Sheridan 2016-17 - February 12, 2014