WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
It seems after all of the late snow storms spring may have finally arrived.
Kids are playing in the parks. Students at Sheridan College are outside studying in the grass and folks are once again generally on the move.
Sheridan County residents should keep in mind that in the warm spring and summer months, many of their neighbors will be out on bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades and of course on foot.
Pay attention and remember these rules of the road.
• Cyclists are different but equal — In all states, cyclists are deemed by law to be drivers of vehicles and are entitled to the same rights on the road as motorists. So slow down and share the lanes with them.
• Patience, not patients — It doesn’t take very long to get anywhere in Sheridan, be patient and take your time.
• Etiquette — This means the little things. Don’t cut off cyclists or any other recreationist out on the road. Check your mirrors before opening your doors — it is hard for cyclists to anticipate when a driver may open a door, but it is even harder to stop quick enough to avoid a crash.
Cyclists should also keep some tips in mind.
• Use your head — Wear a helmet.
• Play defense — Always be aware of your surroundings. Knowing what is in front of you and behind you can help keep you safe. Riding in a predictable manner (a.k.a no erratic moves) can also help keep you safe.
• Wear brightly colored clothing or reflectors — Making yourself visible will help you be visible from all directions.
• Ride with traffic — You are considered a vehicle. Do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalk and always ride with traffic, not against it.
Summer is a great time to get active, get outside and try something new.
Be aware of pedestrians and recreationists who may be on the roads and remember to stop at crosswalks to allow pedestrians to get across streets safely.
Latest posts by Outside Contributor (see all)
- In Wisconsin, a measure of the country’s metabolism - October 25, 2016
- ‘Wrong choice’ will take away guns, right to speak out - October 22, 2016
- ‘How would Arnold play this’ golf shot? - October 22, 2016