Top 10 things you need for the house
Date posted: April 19, 2013
If you are setting up house, or know someone who is, there are a few basic things that everyone needs to have to run a successful home.
Here is a short list to ponder; you’ll add your own items over time.
1. A library card. There are hundreds of how-to books on every subject imaginable. You will be amazed how much you can learn about how your house works. Googling specific subjects is also helpful.
2. Tools. A basic set should include screwdrivers (flat-heads and Philips-heads in different sizes), a hammer, pliers of several types, a staple gun, and a hot-glue gun.
3. WD-40. This multi-purpose lubricant does many things.
4. Duct tape. Countless uses for this old reliable.
5. Plumbers’ putty. This malleable stuff could provide a temporary fix for small leaks in pipes, plus a host of other uses.
6. Carpenters’ glue. Learn how to fix your own furniture by reading books. You will find other cool tools that help with this area.
7. Volt tester. Never fool around with electricity (don’t fear it, respect it) until you understand exactly what you are dealing with. Find out where your breaker box is and study what is inside.
8. Plunger and snake. Many plumbing problems can be fixed by the do-it-yourselfer who understands that basic drain-waste-vent system.
9. Smoke/carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are a must for every home. Change batteries when you change your clocks twice yearly.
10. Escape plan. Be sure that every person in your house knows how to get out in case of a fire.
Susan Woody has been a home and garden writer for more than 20 years and is an advanced Master Gardener.