WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
Wyoming author C.J. Box will be the grand marshal for this year’s Sheridan-Wyo-Rodeo Parade. Longtime rodeo board member and County Commissioner Tom Ringley said so Wednesday during Gov. Matt Mead’s citywide tour. Ringley writes a fortnightly column for the Press on local history and events.
Box is a best-selling author whose 15 books routinely top The New York Times bestselling lists. Box is a native of Wyoming and lives near Cheyenne with his family. He is a frequent visitor to Sheridan for book signings. Beside his Joe Pickett series, his “Blue Heaven” won an Edgar Award in 2008 for Best Mystery Novel.
The parade will be Friday, July 11, beginning at 10 a.m. in Historic Downtown Sheridan.
Sheridan Press tidings…….
• The Sheridan-Wyo-Rodeo magazine, part of our Destination Sheridan series, will be coming soon. We’re forecasting this edition at around 100 pages, the largest edition ever. Included will be stories about what to expect at this year’s rodeo, its rich history, local rodeo photography, Sheridan-area advertising, a calendar of events and much more. Advertising deadline is a week from today. Don’t miss out — these magazines get snapped up quick, a bona fide souvenir.
• The special section celebrating the Class of 2014 from our local high schools will be published tomorrow.
• The Press’ “20 under 40” recognition, coming in June, is closing out nominations next week. If you know a mover-and-shaker under 40 years of age in Sheridan, let us know. There are nomination forms online at our website, on Facebook and at our office.
• There will be no Press published on Monday, Memorial Day.
Forget Florida and California, those longtime destinations for retirees of another generation. According to the May 5 edition of CNNMoney, the best states to retire to will surprise many. And Wyoming’s in the top five.
South Dakota is number one, given its low taxes, lack of crime, easy access to health care and general well-being. Others in the top five: Colorado, Utah, North Dakota, Wyoming. One demographer says having to use a snow shovel offsets high crime, high costs of living and taxes. Florida was ranked 39th; California, 28th because of those factors
“Wyoming,” says the report, “there is no state better for the tax conscious.” It also gets a top billing for its moderate cost of living. The downside is access to quality health care, statewide.
Those frisky grizzlies
“The study involves fitting female grizzly bears with radio or satellite tracking collars, and monitoring those bears for births and morality.”
— Kalispell (Montana) Daily Inter Lake
Enjoy a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend!
Latest posts by Steve Woody (see all)
- Column: Vinich connection to ‘Men at War’ - August 6, 2015
- Column: New Vaudevillians, Farmers Market - August 5, 2015
- Column: Franklin’s ‘new’ store; Senior Center campaign - August 4, 2015