One person transported to hospital following Story house fire

SHERIDAN — Emergency responders were called to a residential fire in Story at approximately 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Rocky Mountain Ambulance confirmed one person was transported to Sheridan Memorial Hospital.

Story Volunteer Fire Department Firefighter Jerry Prescott said they were called to 97 Fish Hatchery Road and found that some rooms of the house were up in flames.

Story Fire Chief Mike Onstott said the initial report was that someone was inside the building, but when crews arrived, they had managed to leave the structure. Onstott said firefighters gave oxygen to a teenage or young adult male who seemed to be suffering from smoke inhalation.

Dispatchers at Rocky Mountain Ambulance confirmed they transported one person to the hospital. SMH was unable to provide an update on the person at press time.

Sheridan County Assessor Paul Fall said the house is owned by John Fearnow.

Onstott said the State Fire Marshall said after a preliminary investigation that the fire appears to have started on a mattress in one of the bedrooms of the home and that it appeared to be accidental.

“It appears it started around that mattress, but the house was also under remodeling, so there are a number of possibilities,” Onstott said.

Onstott said the fire had engulfed both the bedroom and kitchen in the home, and the remainder of the first floor of the home was heavily damaged by smoke, rendering the house uninhabitable.

SFR Chief Terry Lenhart indicated the fire was “significant.”

“When got there, Story (firefighters were) on scene and we knocked down some of the flames, but it still took quite a while to go through and search for and extinguish any remaining fire,” Lenhart said.

Onstott said his firefighters maximized the water available to fight the fire.

“We did an external defensive attack to knock down the flames and make sure it doesn’t spread to other properties or trees, then we go in and do the internal cleanup,” he said.

Firefighters left the scene at approximately 6:30 p.m.

Onstott said investigation of the scene will continue today.

Prescott also indicated a dog on the scene was also slightly injured from the smoke. Prescott said he kept the dog at his house overnight, and the dog was doing well as of this morning.

 

 

 

 

 

About

Tracee Davis

Tracee Davis joined the staff at The Sheridan Press in July of 2013. She covers business, energy and public safety. Tracee grew up in Kemmerer and has lived in several locations both in the U.S. and overseas. Her journalism training stems from her military service.

  Email | Twitter


Reader Comments

Tell us what you think. The Sheridan Press offers you the chance to comment on articles on Thesheridanpress.com. We power our commenting forum with facebook comments. Please take a look at our participation guidelines before posting.