WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — The Sheridan High School wrestling team split ways for two separate tournaments this weekend. Nine wrestlers headed to the Rapid City Invite in Rapid City, S.D., and 20 made the long drive to Forsyth, Mont.
Head Coach Tyson Shatto, in Rapid City, said he was proud of how the boys did Friday.
“Our young guys are wrestling well and doing good things, which is good to see,” Shatto said.
Shatto said the Rapid City Invite is one of the toughest tournaments the team will see all year long. It is held at the Civic Center and features more than 30 teams from all around North and South Dakota and Wyoming. “They see a lot of tough competition. There are no easy matches,” Shatto said. Two wrestlers made it to the semi-finals. Junior Braxton Cooper, at 106 pounds, is at 3-0, and if he wins today, he will be in the championship round. Tory Music is also at 3-0 and in the semi-final match today. “Overall our semifinalists, Braxton and Tory, are staying consistent in their wrestling, and improving from match to match, and it’s paid off for them these last few tournaments,” Shatto said.
The other five wrestlers who made it to wrestlebacks today will battle to win a few matches and get into placing matches, Shatto said.
The Sheridan High School wrestling team has eight weight classes represented out of 14 total.
• Braxton Cooper at 106 pounds is 3-0 in the Rapid City Invite and made it to the semi-finals today.
• Dominic Miller is wrestling at 113 pounds and is 1-2 in the tournament.
• Tucker Goss, 120 pounds, lost to the No. 1 wrestler in the state Friday in the quarterfinals and will be in wrestlebacks today.
• Freshman Hayden Hastings, at 132 pounds, is 3-1 and in the wrestlebacks today.
• At 138 pounds, Colin Harnish is 0-2 and is out of the tourney.
• Timmy Cowan, at 170 pounds, is also at 0-2 and will not wrestle today.
• Cody Delk, wrestling in the 220-pound weight class, is 2-1 in the Rapid City Invite and will be in wrestlebacks today.
• Dane Chambers, also at 220 pounds, is 1-1 and made it to wrestlebacks today.
Latest posts by Staff Reports (see all)
- Pierson named Wyoming Teacher of the Year - October 3, 2015
- $1 million grant to remodel, expand Senior Center food service area approved - October 3, 2015
- Municipal Court Reports — Oct. 3, 2015 - October 3, 2015