WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
Re: U.S. in decline
Quotes from some famous folks in our past:
• “Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
— Thomas Paine, 1737-1809, English/American political activist/author
• “I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
— James Madison, 1751-1836, American statesman, fourth U.S. president.
• “Among (European governments), under pressure of governing, they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
— Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826, American statesman, third U.S. president
• “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependence back into bondage.”
— Alexander F. Tytler, 1747-1813, Scottish writer/judge
Concerning the last quote, where do you think we are in the cycle?
My thought: Shame on those we have elected as our representatives in government. Shame on them for creating a bloated, gluttonous government that consumes so much from the people. Shame on our elected officials for creating bills consisting of thousands of pages, not reading the contents, and then passing them into laws — laws that manipulate and oppress the people, but from which they exempt themselves.
What issues forth from the bowels of our nation’s Capitol befouls our freedoms, prosperity and reputation. And shame on us for electing and giving power to such self-serving, senseless individuals.
Latest posts by Outside Contributor (see all)
- Column: The utter nastiness of Ted Cruz - February 6, 2016
- Column: The Super Bowl’s 60 minutes of damage - February 6, 2016
- Guest Column: Wyoming Legislature wrong to take away state authority to label genetically modified foods - February 6, 2016