WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
Big Horn Homecoming: Rams host 0-6 Moorcroft
SHERIDAN — The Big Horn Rams have the good fortune of closing their season with two games at home.
They’ll play Moorcroft Friday for their homecoming game, and Big Horn’s homecoming is a happy one after two impressive road wins, made more so by the fact that they won those two games in a span of just four days.
The Rams defeated Glenrock Monday, Oct. 7 in a snow-delayed game before going on the road to Wheatland last Friday and getting a narrow 28-26 victory.
The two wins set them up for possible playoff homefield advantage, as they sit as one of just two one-loss teams left in 2A, holding the tie-breaker over Wheatland if both teams win out. Burns leads 2A East at 6-0, while unbeaten Lovell tops the West.
As any team would like to, Big Horn has improved as the season progressed.
They sit at the top of 2A standings on offense. The Rams average 415.7 yards per game, and have amassed 300 more total yards at 2,494 than the next closest squad, Wheatland.
The Rams rush defense is much improved, allowing just 4.3 yards per carry.
More importantly, they boast a +8 turnover ratio, forcing seven fumbles and snatching 12 picks.
Moorcroft’s struggles are widely known, as the Wolves prepare for a move to 1A football next season. They’ve lost all of their games by an average of 36.2 points.
Big Horn closes next week at home with 2-4 Tongue River.
Eagles trek to Newcastle
SHERIDAN — The Tongue River Eagles (2-4) close their season with two road games, the longest this week in Newcastle (3-3).
Tongue River has taken giant steps this season — besides winning two games, something they’d done just once since 2008 — the Eagles defense is ranked seventh out of the 16 2A squads.
They allow 298 yards per game, allowing 6.4 yards per carry. Their YPC is significantly better this season as the have given up far fewer big plays. Tongue River has scored seven touchdowns through six weeks, the same number the scored all of 2012.
Newcastle enters tomorrow’s game after a 34-12 win over Glenrock last Friday.
Other happenings: SHS vball senior night
• Friday night’s SHS volleyball game against Cheyenne Central will be senior night for the Lady Broncs as they close their regular season at home this weekend. The game is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. in the SHS gym. The varsity game is set for 1 p.m., Saturday against Cheyenne East.
• The Sheridan College Generals will play an exhibition game against Medicine Hat University out of Canada Friday at 6 p.m.
• The Harvest Moon Doubles tennis tournament will take place Friday and Saturday at SHS.
Latest posts by Brad Estes (see all)
- Weekend sports schedule: Feb. 12-14 - February 13, 2014
- Generals beat Northwest on Andrews’ final shot; SC women lose - February 13, 2014
- WHSAA meetings: State soccer back in Sheridan 2016-17 - February 12, 2014