WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
SHERIDAN — The Sheridan College rodeo team competed in Lamar, Colo., using far better conditions for a better finish over the weekend.
Five saddle bronc riders, one bareback rider, one bull rider, a tie down roper and two team ropers reached the short round for the men’s team as they placed second behind Casper College. It’s the highest finish for SC so far this year, finally bettering Gillette College. Teams have one more rodeo this fall before the winter break as they head to Cheyenne this weekend.
The men sit in third place behind Gillette and Casper, respectively after four fall rodeos.
The SC team hosted the 53rd Pat Hamilton Memorial Rodeo last weekend, battling a muddy arena and rainstorms.
At the Lamar College Rodeo, sophomore cowboy Taygen Schuelke finally broke through after a tough start to the season.
He won the all-around award Sunday after accumulating 220 points. He took third in the long round in saddle bronc, getting bucked off in the short round and placing fourth in the average. He was third in bull riding and won the short round, finishing second in the average. His bull riding season turned around after just missing his usual high standards so far this season. Schuelke was a CNFR qualifier last year.
Schuelke moved up to third in the Central Rocky Mountain Region bull riding standings. Additionally, he and team roping partner Lane Foster placed 10th in the long round but missed the short round.
Zeke Thurston just trailed Schuelke in the all-around, earning 210 points. He was second in the long round saddle bronc riding after his 76, and then won the short round with an 82-point ride, finishing second in the average. He placed second in the long round tie down roping after an 11.2 second time, but missed his calf in the short round.
He held his first-place saddle bronc spot in CRMR standings, one he’s held from the get go this fall.
Other highlights from head coach Marc Gilkerson:
• Tate Schwagler split fourth and fifth in the long round in bareback riding, but was bucked off in the short round. Schwagler is currently splitting sixth in the region.
• Dillon Barkshire split sixth place in the long round in saddle bronc riding, and scored 75 points in the short round to place third in the round and finish third in the average. Barkshire is currently fifth in the region in saddle bronc riding.
• Tayte Clark placed fifth in the long round with a score of 66 points in the saddle bronc riding, he was bucked off in the short round.
• Kash Deal placed fourth in the long round in the saddle bronc riding with a score of 69 points, but he was also bucked off in the short round.
Illness depleted the SC women’s team over the weekend, Gilkerson said, “so they weren’t at their best when they competed this weekend, but, Lexy Williams split fifth and sixth in the goat tying with a time of 8.3 seconds, she drew a kicking goat in the short round and was a long 9.1 seconds and didn’t place.”
Latest posts by Staff Reports (see all)
- Sheridan College to host Mars viewing event May 30 - May 27, 2016
- Agendas — May 28, 2016 - May 27, 2016
- Story yard sale set for June 5 - May 27, 2016