No injuries in house fire Thursday night
Date posted: September 27, 2013
SHERIDAN —Goose Valley Fire Department and Sheridan Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at approximately 6:15 Thursday night at 85 Sherri View Lane. SFR Fire Chief Terry Lenhart said the incident is still under investigation, but upon initial inspection, it appears as though the blaze was a chimney fire that spread to a portion of the structure’s attic space.
Lenhart said that in order to access a ceiling fire, firefighters had to remove a part of the ceiling of one room to fight the blaze. During this process, a small section of sheetrock fell on the firefighters as they were working, but no one was injured.
“There was no major collapse,” Lenhart said, adding the responders were able to keep fire damage contained to the attic and roof area of the building, thanks to their quick response.
“That’s pretty common when we’re fighting that type of fire,” Big Goose Valley Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Williams said, who added the fire was knocked down within half an hour to 45 minutes after firefighters arrived on the scene.
Lenhart said SFR crews returned to the fire station approximately two hours after the initial call, but firemen from GVVFD stayed at the scene throughout the night to keep the area secure and eliminate the threat of the fire starting again.
Williams said many chimney fires can be avoided by having chimneys cleaned every year, though the homeowners in this instance said they were vigilant about keeping the chimney swept.
SFR and GVVFD were assisted by Rocky Mountain Ambulance and the Sheridan County Sherriff’s Office.
Investigators are expected to examine the scene today to make an official determination as to the cause of the fire.
Editor’s Note: this story was updated at 11:21 a.m. to include Williams’s comments.
Copyright © 2015 The Sheridan Press or Sheridan Newspapers, Inc.