Technology time wasters
Date posted: March 30, 2013
It is amazing the technology time wasters that have found their ways into my life. Sure, some of them could be useful, but mostly it is just a way to keep myself busy while I’m waiting for a friend, a movie to start, airplane boarding to begin or if I’m just plain bored.
There are the usual suspects:
• Pinterest — This website is an online pinboard that allows you to spend hours perusing other people’s ideas. Doesn’t matter what it is about. The site includes everything from recipes and workout plans to decorating tips, arts and crafts projects and tips for just about anything.
• Facebook — Let’s me keep up-to-speed on friends from afar. It means I don’t always have to talk to them to know what they are doing today. For example, I often learn what friends are eating for dinner, the latest movie they watched and whether or not they are arguing with their significant other. Relevant information to my life? No. But a solid way to waste some time.
• YouTube — the perfect way to watch videos of people doing stupid things, animals performing crazy tricks or music videos from some of my favorite artists. Plus The Press has some fun videos from around town. Are you in one?
Then there are the slightly less obvious choices.
• PeopleofWalmart.com — This page is both disgusting and often so true it is disturbing. I frequent Walmart often and wonder if I should take some photos for this site. They feature ridiculous outfits, actions and other shenanigans that often go along with a trip to the super store.
• The New York Times photojournalism blog “Lens” — This website features awesome galleries on everything from “Pictures of the Day” to stories of war, festivals and other news from around the world. The talent is remarkable and yes, I’m addicted.
• fmylife.com — If you ever feel like your life is awful and couldn’t get any worse. check out this website. It might make you feel better.
• Northwestern University’s sports website, nusports.com — What can I say. I loved my school. Yeah Wildcats!
And last, but not least…
• cubs.com — This is the website of my favorite MLB team, the Chicago Cubs. I keep up on all of their wins (which, yes, I admit often isn’t very many) and the goings on about Wrigley Field. Lately there’s been talk that the Cubs may move to the ‘burbs. This would not be good.
Anyway, if it rains like they say it might this weekend, you’re bored or just surfing the Internet, check these websites out. I guarantee it will be a complete waste of time.
Kristen Czaban is managing editor of The Sheridan Press.