WEATHER FROM OUR SPONSORS
Learn to make chicken fingers that are lower in fat than fast food versions. You will save time, money and not be guilted into shame.
Potato-Crusted Chicken Fingers
6 ounces baked potato chips
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
1. Grind chips in a food processor, and place in a shallow dish. Place 3/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Combine the milk and egg in a shallow dish. Sprinkle chicken with salt; dredge in flour. Dip chicken in milk mixture; dredge in ground chips.
2. Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
Summer Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Panini with Balsamic Syrup
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (8-ounce) piece focaccia or other flat bread, cut in half horizontally
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin oilive oil
12 large basil leaves
5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 8 minutes).
2. While vinegar reduces, brush cut side of top half of bread with oil. Top evenly with basil, cheese, and tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Brush cut side of bottom half of bread with reduced vinegar; place on top of sandwich. Invert sandwich.
3. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add sandwich to pan. Place a cast-iron skillet on top of sandwich, and gently press to flatten. Leave skillet on; cook 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted. Cut sandwich into 4 equal pieces.
Susan Woody has been a food writer for over 20 years and is a member of the Association of Food Journalists.
Latest posts by Susan Woody (see all)
- Column: Recycling program, fall projects and antioxidants - July 24, 2015
- Column: Grilled salsas - July 22, 2015
- Is your kitchen towel toxic? - July 17, 2015