Well, it’s happening. Sheridan people are getting into the groove (that word might date me). I am excited to see some of my peers walking in our front doors, visiting our Grab-N-Go, taking a look around and saying, “Yes, I am old enough to be at The Hub on Smith.” Yes, this is a very good place to be yourself, be excited to learn, be included in conversation, be healthy, be creative and be engaging.
That’s what the Administration for Community Living tells us.
“Engage at Every Age” is the theme for Older Americans Month, which we celebrate each year in May. The staff here at The Hub is pleased to serve our community. Our newly renovated space has inspired us and has put fresh energy into our spirits. We are motived to improve, create, serve and enjoy life more than ever.
Our furnishings and surroundings may have changed but our programs and activities are still robust, hearty and healthy. I can safely say this is due not only to our staff, but to our generous community and the participation of all that visit us on a regular basis. We are inspired by those who appreciate and encourage us daily on a job well done. We are grateful to those who volunteer their time and talents be it one time or daily.
In the spirit of Older Americans Month, during the month of May we have extended the invitation to those people that are currently enjoying our lunches (or currently registered) to bring a friend to lunch. I have had some great conversations with those who have participated. Our intentions are to meet and greet, introduce you to others and be part of making you comfortable. We hope you then come back and join us on a regular basis. If you are currently registered with us, please call us for details before the month is over.
Let me tell you a few things you may not know about The Hub on Smith.
• Georgia Boley is our rockin’ registered dietitian. She provides “Food For Thought” education as well as diet tips to help and eliminate health related issues.
• If you like to get out and see the countryside, besides Jean’s day trips and hikes with the Wyoming Wilderness team, we have another opportunity for you. Tempe Murphy will be setting up trip itineraries for out-of-state and out-of-country adventures. If you are interested, please call me.
• There are still some “Dream Vacation Raffle” tickets left doling out $750 in cash or $2,500 in travel voucher money. There are four more drawings left to win. Call Jackie Wells for details.
• We have bicycles for you to check out.
• Our building is available for rental for special occasions. All this and our continual classes of health and exercise, crafts and other artistic mediums, games and social activities.
The doors are open 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. If you are a resident in Big Horn, Dayton, Ranchester, Story or Heritage Towers apartments, please inquire about our meal service in your community.
Mention “Engage at Age” to the lovely people at the Grab-N-Go for the rest of the month, and we will give you 15 percent off your purchase.
Jane Perkins is Director of Fun at The Hub on Smith.