DeFlavis pleads guilty; makes plea deal for 2-4 years

Home|News|Local News|DeFlavis pleads guilty; makes plea deal for 2-4 years

SHERIDAN — A Sheridan man pleaded guilty in Sheridan’s 4th Judicial District Court Wednesday morning to aggravated assault and battery that stemmed from an early morning bar fight almost two months ago where he stabbed another man in the face and neck.

Anthony DeFlavis pleaded guilty to the felony charge in exchange for a recommendation from Deputy County and Prosecuting Attorney Christopher LaRosa that he serve between two and four years for the crime in addition to paying restitution to the victim.

After entering his guilty plea, DeFlavis gave details surrounding the circumstances of the incident upon the request of Judge William Edelman.

DeFlavis told the judge he and his pregnant girlfriend had just decided to leave the bar, but he went back inside because he had forgotten his cigarettes. When he re-entered the bar, he said he got into an argument with Andrew Jordan, another bar patron, who followed him outside. DeFlavis said he went to his truck but then went back to confront Jordan. The confrontation became physical, and DeFlavis drew his pocket knife and used it to stab Jordan three times.

DeFlavis testified at his arraignment that the knife he used in the stabbing was a collapsible pocket knife between two and three inches in length. He agreed with Edelman the injuries inflicted on Jordan were life threatening. He also agreed he was intoxicated when the incident took place.

Jordan spent time in Sheridan Memorial Hospital’s intensive care unit. DeFlavis also injured himself in the altercation, sustaining a cut on his right hand between his thumb and index finger. Immediately after the fight, DeFlavis fled the scene. He sought medical treatment in Montana and received stitches.

DeFlavis was at large for nearly four days before he was found and arrested by law enforcement. Investigators were interviewing his girlfriend, who had witnessed the fight, and found DeFlavis hiding in a bedroom in the woman’s home.

In addition to the recent felony conviction, DeFlavis has also had contact with the criminal justice system for several misdemeanor offenses. At the time of this incident, he was still on probation for having an open container, resisting arrest and obstruction of justice in March of last year. Previous convictions also include battery of his grandmother, girlfriend and another individual in separate offenses in less than 10 years. He was also convicted of assault before his 20th birthday.

Before his most recent arrest, DeFlavis worked at the Subway located within the Rock Shop in Sheridan.

Upon acceptance of the guilty plea, Edelman revoked DeFlavis’ bond, which was set at $50,000, but never posted.

A sentencing hearing for DeFlavis will be scheduled within about two months from his arraignment date. DeFlavis’ plea agreement only ensures that LaRosa will recommend a two to four year sentence in addition to restitution to the victim. However, Edelman is free to assign a sentence of up to 10 years and a $10,000 fine for the charge.

By |February 6th, 2014|

About the Author:

Tracee Davis joined the staff at The Sheridan Press in July of 2013. She covers business, energy and public safety. Tracee grew up in Kemmerer and has lived in several locations both in the U.S. and overseas. Her journalism training stems from her military service.